Sunday, July 22, 2007

Acceptance Speech

Well I see Dr M has now graciously (as ever) received his Hypocrite of the Year Award. Here's his acceptance speech:

As readers will know, I'm a reluctant censor and I would rather leave it to others to moderate their comments, as unlike other bloggers, I don't have the luxury of sitting in front of my PC all day. I work for a living, I have a family, I have a life and I can be hundred of miles away when comments appear.

I'm not a "publisher." This is not a newspaper its an "open forum" and you will see a waiver to that effect on the sidebar.

I don't need to hide behind a malevolent under-achieving fictional character with too much time on his hands and I don't need to constantly invent stories about anyone.

As for thanking ECR, he should be thanking me! Without his relentless fictional content about me, much of his blog simply wouldn't exist
How sad!


Well, Simes, that's, er, smashing, although I'd just like to pick you up on one or two of those points:

I'm a reluctant censor Um, short memory there, Doc, maybe you should have the old bonce looked over. Wasn't it you who emailed me last year attempting to get a comment about you removed from my blog? And we've all lost count of the number of times you've turned comments off. Although I admit you seemed quite cheerful when one of your supporters labelled me a paedophile recently.

I'm not a "publisher." This is not a newspaper its an "open forum" and you will see a waiver to that effect on the sidebar. Although you're happy to threaten people who attack you and your cronies with the old 'I've got your IP address and the cops will be round toute de suite because this is libel in exactly the same way as the printed word' ploy. And excuse me, but didn't you style yourself, until recently, 'Thanet's Alternative Newspaper'?

I work for a living, I have a family, I have a life and I can be hundred of miles away when comments appear. Er, but you're only too happy to let us know you're on the blog from your first class BA seat to Dubai.

I don't need to hide behind a malevolent under-achieving fictional character with too much time on his hands and I don't need to constantly invent stories about anyone. I think you'll find I'm only malevolent towards barefaced hypocrites, Doc. And yes, I've got all the time in the world for that.

As for thanking ECR, he should be thanking me! Without his relentless fictional content about me, much of his blog simply wouldn't exist. How sad! Relentless fictional content? How on earth can a couple of passages reproduced word for word from your blog be fictional? Oh, well, er, there again!

As for the Doc frequently featuring on these pages, I'll admit that he does seem to crop up more than most, although I'd hardly call it 'relentless'. But then, he's chosen to be a high profile Tory politician, what are we meant to do, all bend down and chant 'we are not worthy'? Come on, Doc, if you can't stand the heat, why are you in the kitchen?

And by the way, you still haven't adequately explained why you shouldn't be reported to the Standards Board for publishing comments about 'Gippos'.

15 comments:

Mick said...

If popularity is anything to go by I thought you might like to know I read ECR most days but Dr M once or twice and gave it up, just boring Tory twaddle.

Anonymous said...

The best speech Sniggles could give us know would be the shortest but most succinct

"I resign"

but hey, he's a politician now so dont hold your breath

Sandsurfer

Anonymous said...

A TRUE CHAMPION OF HYPOCRISY

He thinks he's a politician, he thinks he does no wrong, he thinks he can bully people into submission, but like all bullies he's got no balls.

Like all bullies & hypocrites I expect he will become the hard done by victim.

I think he should be called 'KIPPER MOORES' two faced & gutless.

Anonymous said...

How sad that an excellent blog like yours, ECR, descends into such puerile abuse from your posters and egged on by you. Stick to the sharp humour, the ready wit and biting sarcasm that make this site a brilliant contribution to Thanet's blogs. There is nothing quite so intolerant as the PC brigade in terms of stifling free speech and rounding like baying dogs on some-one who hasn't perhaps understood all the nuances of modern PC thought and speech; it does the likes of OVIT and yourself no credit to mount personal attacks on Dr Moores just because he holds a different view-point and is a high profile target. You and OVIT have the luxury and right to hide behind anonymity as I do; the Doc over on Thanetlife is open and up-front with his identity. If you want to get personal drop your anonymity and square-up like a gentleman should despite your caddish persona!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that he's trying to paint you as some underachieving timewasting dole scrounger with nothing better to do than sit at a PC all day. For someone who claims he virtually invented the internet singlehanded it's odd that he's never heard of 'working from home' using broadband etc rather than clomping all over the environment in your carbon size 12s flying here and there, charging up the M2 etc.

He's of an age that he probably thinks that if he's not racking up emissions going to meetings or flying his plane he's not doing a 'proper' job, so therefore you're not doing a 'proper' job. Or that, given his patronising pet theory that Thanet is somehow off the edge the known world, no-one round here would be capable of running a business from home.

Anonymous said...

I wish that Lord Lucan would get off my back.

Anonymous said...

Lord Lucan, I'm sure ECR would thank you for your kind words about the blog.

However, I wouldn't agree that ECR was being overly PC by objecting to the use of the word 'Gippo' in a derogatory context on a councillor's blog. I for one was genuinely quite shocked that such a term had been been published on a serving councillor's organ, and I'm afraid that I consider blaming it on the ignorance of the local populace a pretty poor excuse.

Of course, the commentator's contribution was probably well intentioned, nobody wants to see untaxed, unroadworthy vehicles on our streets. Recently we had an issue in these parts concerning a public urinator who was described as 'Latvian', but that was a useful description of a potential offender, not a racially charged slur.

And personally I can see nothing wrong with ECR and OVIT being a fictional characters, I'm sure they have their reasons for retaining their anonymity, that doesn't make what they say any less valid.

Still it would be amusing to see the Doc and ECR 'squaring up'. You never know, they might end up getting on like the proverbial Margate slum on fire! Do let me know if you're selling tickets.

Anonymous said...

The original gypsies came from India, and were known as the Rom, or Roma - rom being an Indian word meaning gypsy man. As they travelled across world, some did end up in Eygpt, the name of the country being the derivation of the word "gypsy", and its diminutive "gyppo". As Egypt is spelt with a "y", it seems preferable to spell "Gyppo" with a "y", and, indeed, a capital "G".


Gypsy's kiss is rhyming slang for piss (As in Latvian man)

It is not a derogatory term. We call Scotsmen "Jocks" and Welshmen "Taffs".

Until now I thought your obhection to the piece was that the contributor had the effrontery to point out that the enforcement of regulations (In this case smoking in working vehicles carrying a passenger and waste carrier licence) are a case of preaching to the converted.

The public sector parasites, charged with enforcing the regulations, turned away from trying to enforce regs against those of an untaxed road vehicle Romany persuasion ...

Moores, by the way, has rather set your agenda for you.

Don't Gippos refer to us as Gorgios (non Gypsies) and Masons refer to non Masons as "The Profane"

Sticks and stones ECR.

Richard Eastcliff said...

Oh well that's sorted that one out then.

If only the contributor had spelt it 'Gyppo'. Hang on, though. What about that film they made around here? That was called 'Gypo' wasn't it? Where do we stand on one 'P'?

Or maybe they meant 'Gyro', as in someone who claims benefit?

I'm all confused again now!

Anonymous said...

Yes, 'Jocks' and 'Taffs' not racist at all. The Irish still love being called 'Micks' and 'Paddies', too. While we're at it, what about 'Eyeties', 'Spicks', 'Dagos', 'Pakis' etc etc - they love it!

What a twot.

Anonymous said...

I just love the way that Lord Lucan and the other Thanet Life Ambassadors abroad constantly remark on the alleged hostility towards Councillor Moores while turning blind eyes to his hysterical and offensive antics. I honestly wonder sometimes if I am missing something!


ONEVOICEINTHANET

Anonymous said...

What an unpleasant chap you must be OVIT! I can certainly tell you what you are missing:
1. ability to read and understand arguments.
2. tolerance.
3. people reading the drivel on your own blog.
4. adding to your own blog.
5. a sense of humour.

Anonymous said...

Calm down everyone, it's only a blog!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord Lucan. There is a strong strand of pernicious venom that runs through your reply and the comments routinely posted by your associates on Thanet Life. I am surprised you have not gone for an accusation of under achievement, benefit claiming, or mental illness, which is the normal bile dished out by the Thanet Lifers to anyone who challenges their "party line".

I do have a sense of humour - you are funny, albeit probably unintentionally. And what is the point of adding to my blog if it is only drivel anyway? Please read and try to understand your OWN arguments.


ONEVOICEINTHANET

Anonymous said...

Moores was always touchy, even before joining the ranks of the Thanet Hi Society Councillor bunch of Onaniers.
But now..... well, leave him up pick the poo up from his little doggy from the Westgate putting links.

Very anonymous!