Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Ice House Goeth

Rumours have reached the old Eastcliff lugholes that this knackered old Victorian eyesore, er, ice store down by our lovely Royal Harbour here in the Millionaires' Playground has been earmarked for the axe. And when I say 'axe' I don't mean a flogging off like Albion House, Northdown House or parts of Viking Bay. No, I hear it's destined for the full ball and chain job. As far as I can make out, it's only claim to fame is that it currently houses the Kent and Essex Fisheries Committee, whatever that is.

Ah, what a relief to return to important and weighty affairs of state after all that frothy nonsense across the Atlantic!

12 comments:

Peter C said...

It still seems a shame to knock it down (they should give it to me, it would make a nice photographic studio!).

Anonymous said...

surely they are not knocking it down and then failing to replace it with anything? Just think how many rabbit hutch flats could be squeezed into the space....


Nige

Anonymous said...

Not sure of my ground so might get shot down in flames.
Could this be because empty business property is at charged full rates and it is cheaper to reduce it to a bomb site?

Anonymous said...

like most other things TDC 'owns' its a case of knocking it down before it falls down, its structure is failing,,

Unknown said...

The proposal is to knock it down, and(wait for it) build 6 houses. (or I should say grant themselves planning permission for 6 house and then sell the site).
Its part of a bigger plan to grant themselves planning permission for housing on most of the Western Hard (where the boats sre pulled out for repair at the momment.
In my opinion, piecemeal development of this site is the most short sighted vandalism. There are development opportunities on the western seafront, but they should be part of an overall plan.

Anonymous said...

Good news for Manston I think

Anonymous said...

This is outrageous I do not recall seeing any consultation about this.

Anonymous said...

are they getting it de-listed then?

Anonymous said...

You saw all the consultation you're going to get in the voting booth.
Do wake up!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's listed actually 9.55

Anonymous said...

If I hear that phrase "development opportunities" again, I will commit murder.

Anonymous said...

Councillor Green, have you voiced your objections to this earlier and in public?