Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mechanical Elephant Is Big Down Under

Sitting in my Yokohama hotel room, pondering the meaning of the sign on the door which reads 'It is forbidden to bring breakfast bought outside to iron', I thought I'd log into the old email. Lo and behold, I had received this missive from Julianne in Adelaide, South Australia:

Hello Richard,

I stumbled across your site while looking for mechanical elephant information. My father owns one of these elephants and I drive it every year in a Xmas pageant in Adelaide, South Australia.

I would really like to have a copy of the footage you have on your website as it may even be our elephant in that film. I look forward to hearing from you in the not too distant future. I attach a photo of our elephant called Nellie at the pageant last Saturday (8/11/08).

Thank you, Julianne Hein


Regular readers will recall that, back in May, I published some archive footage of what is believed to have been Margate's mechanical elephant. That footage was found in Google Video, Julianne, and if you click here you'll be able to see it in the raw, along with numerous other films of similarly automated pachyderms. If any of you locals have tales of Margate's elephant to recall, do pop them in the comments below. I'm sure Julianne would be delighted to read them.

Right, that's that sorted. I'm off to illegally press my porridge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get caught with your pants down, while you're illegally pressing your porridge, will you.

Anonymous said...

Not many people know but Ken Wills bought the original elephant in the late seventies.

It was recommissioned and altered and is now a mechanical Ezekiel . It works with a series of levers and strings that get pulled every time you need a favour.
Next time you see our leader if he stands still for more that two minutes you will see a large pool of oil

A J Ovenden said...

The Margate Historical Society has accounts of the mechanical elephant, I will try and find them.
Towards the end of the footage is Margate Pier in the background, definately Margate. also the school badges of the school children can be traced.

Anorak

Anonymous said...

12.56 you are sadly mistaken.

The Ezekiel is not a mechanical elephant, it is in fact a mechanical jackass!

Please get you facts right in future!

Lucy Mail said...

I think you'll find that Eze-kill's design was based on a white elephant.