Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's The High Life For Ramsgate!

Ordinarily I wouldn't be seen dead buying a copy of the Torygraph, but my new friend Louise tipped me off that the Millionaires' Playground got a mench today. So off I toddled to the Costcutter clasping 90p in my sweaty paw.

Sure enough, there on page 15 was a list of the world's 50 'most authentic destinations', including Los Angeles, Paris, Venice, and, um, Ramsgate. The list has apparently been drawn up by a panel of luminaries including Alain de Botton, Will Self, and my old chum Pierce d'Organ.

Admittedly some other places you might have heard of got a guernsey too. Like Deal, Hastings and Albania. Not a sausage about Margate or Boredstares though. Ha ha! Still, it does rather beg the question why all the cultural resources are being pumped into Margate, while 'authentic' Ramsgate's are being sucked dry. About the only thing the council wants to pump into my neck of the woods is more pollution from those flippin' knackered old jumbos. Oh how I laughed, then, when I noticed the 'most authentic' list was originally published in none other than... the British Airways High Life in flight magazine!

Update: This story is now running in the Daily Mail. Click here to read more (if you can bear the stench of hypocrisy!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much to be proud of at Manston

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/england/kent/7750386.stm

Shut it down.

Anonymous said...

link not found - the dreaded 404

Anonymous said...

the tail is missing! try
7750386.stm