Monday, February 23, 2009

Past My Own Sell By Date

Yes ECR fans, as the late, great, dearly departed Eric Idle once wrote: 'My old knees have started to knock, I've just got too many miles on the clock.'

So with 1,132,324 visits on that clock, no, wait, er, 1,132,325... 1,132,326... oh well, you get the picture... what I'm trying to say is I have my retirement speech here. No, well, it was here, um... oh yes:

'It's been a great privilege to serve the people of Thanet for more than three years.... blah blah... it's been a rollercoaster ride but now it's burnt down... blah... can't get rid of me that easily... etc etc.'

Now it could be that recent bouts of the Delhi jip, combined with prolonged welfare sponging/axe grinding (©2007 Dr Simon Moores) have just worn me down, and what I really need is a rest. This happens to most bloggers sooner or later, and it's happened to me more times than I care to mention. Once my holiday tokens have come through from the JobCentre (Plus!) and I've had a couple of exhilarating weeks at the Derbyshire Miners' Holiday Camp in Skegness, I may be right as rain. But at the moment I can't see any future for a blog that takes the piss out of people who seem have forgotten that they live in a quiet corner of Kent and not Number bleedin' 10 Downing Street!

So, AMF as my American producer used to say! Or is it au revoir?

Update: Thanks to the literally hundreds of emails of support, I've had a slight change of heart and opened this site back up to public viewing. I shan't be posting, but at least you'll have the opportunity to search it using the facility in the top left hand corner. As the most talented person ever to have set foot in Thanet, I at least owe you the opportunity to read the best written and best informed blog the island has ever seen. A member of staff at the cliff top mansion will update the sidebar, and there'll still be short snippets and goss on Facebook and Twitter.

16 comments:

Head, SMEG said...

good luck on your retirement ecr.

Anonymous said...

But, from retirement, you can do supply blogging ?

Matt is looking for contributions.

Plus Matt's caption contests in which you win the populist vote.

I will send you a happy (temporary) retirement card to the bibliobloke to display and if you can prove you are the real ECR there will be enough in the card to buy you a Gadds whatsit ?

You have been the consummate purveyor of humour and well worth a pint of anyone's money. I am almost feeling sorry now for mentioning G--pos on Dr Moores thread to get you pair at it.

Best wishes Irritating Bloke

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anonymous said...

Bye.

Unknown said...

Think we've both been here before ECR?

Richard Eastcliff said...

Nothing to do with you this time, though, Doc. Despite the reference to Downing Street!

Look a bit further down the food chain... that might give you a clue.

Peter C said...

: (

Anonymous said...

Entertaining, incisive, erudite, and thats just the respondants :)

Good luck in the future with the proper job. You will be sorely missed in the blogosphere my friend. I'll raise a glass of Krug in your honout tonight.

:'(

Nige

Richard Eastcliff said...

You can still find me on Twatter and Faceache if you get withdrawal symptoms.

Tony Flaig said...

nothing I've said,

see you later

Anonymous said...

Get some rest old boy and come back fighting fit, in the mean time to paraphrase "help me ECR your my only hope"...

Richard Eastcliff said...

Well actually Tony, if you must know, and while we're at it, the way you carried on like a pork chop the other week might well have had something to do with it. Not much, granted, as I wouldn't want you to start getting ideas above your station and coming across all high and bloomin' mighty again.

And please don't bother leaving any more garbled messages on my ansafone. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Au revoir to one of Thanet's millionaires.... will this signal the exodus?

Tony Flaig said...

Well I've be doing some research and I believe I've found somewhere for you to park your pipe and slippers.

Just to the west of London with convenient connections to the M4 & M25 I've found the ideal rural surroundings to retire, the little village of Datchet.

Only drawback is the local airport LHR but Im sure they've got one of those 106 agreement things signed with the local council.

They don't have a magnificent harbour or clifftop walks with barkers nests and Heras fences, so I expect you'll be back.

Unknown said...

Ahh! Think I may have guessed but can't be certain.

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase Mark Twain - I hope that rumors of your retirement have been greatly exaggerated!