Sunday, December 09, 2007

I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Hereson!

In a mad moment yesterday afternoon I decided I'd forgo the delights of Westwood Chaos (too many autograph hunters) and get all my Christmas shopping in Boredstares. But after an hour of perusing Victorian bathing costumes and hand-crafted Bulgarian tarambukas, enough was enough.

I was trundling back to the Millionaires' Playground in the old Toyota Priapus when a hideous grinding noise began emanating from the vehicle's nether regions. Fearing it was about to burst into flames, or fry the Eastcliff jacksie with 20,000 volts, or both (you never know with these hybrid things), I pulled into that Murco garage on Hereson Road.

'Better call the AA,' I thought. And sure enough, in less time than it takes to say 'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis' the chap had arrived. Much scratching of the bonce ensued. 'I've never worked on one of these,' he finally sighed. 'Where's the gearbox?'.

Now call me old-fashioned, but I thought I was paying my sub for him to know that! I AAsk you!

10 comments:

Lucy Mail said...

Not much different from a doctor asking you where it hurts.
Surely everyone knows where their gearbox is, surely!?

Anonymous said...

Never mind my gearbox is a bit wonky too.

Anonymous said...

I use the Loop - let the bus take the strain!

Anonymous said...

Have you ruled out that he may have been joking in an inappropriate attempt to lighten your mood ?

OR

That your gearbox was not situate upon your motor vehicle. A situation which would have made inquiry, pertaining to its whereabouts, germaine to his breakdown activity ?

OR

That he felt the gearbox on your vehicle was not your property ?

OR

That he has a mate who does gearboxes.

Anonymous said...

In Thanet anything is possible!

Anonymous said...

I reckon he has a mate who does gearboxes, good price, even tow you in but for that price he aint an approved repairer but he knows gearboxes insideout.

Ask anon 9.45 he had one of them.

Anonymous said...

Should have got something with a Wankel rotary engine. You could have serviced your own gearbox then.

Anonymous said...

Wankel rotary engine ... mmm too east

Anonymous said...

that should read "too easy"

Anonymous said...

Or did you mean too Easty?