Thursday, October 25, 2007

Give Them An Inch

You know me, I haven't got a southern hemisphere-ist bone in my body. Not even after last weekend's rugby. But it was only a month ago that I spotted these chaps...

...moving in to their new luxury apartment at Granville Court here on Ramsgate's swinging East Cliff, and now they've shipped in three of their mates:

Has the government taken this into account in its recent population projection? I think we should be told!

More on parakeet immigration here

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they moved there from Harbour Street after the fire above the Indian restaurant?

Gerald (SK14) said...

The BBC news article is interesting as it mentions them being seen around here. Most exotic species I've seen are the long-tailed tits.

Anonymous said...

The population in Thanet has grown enormously in the past two years. I have yet to spot nests though? Does anyone know where the blighters nest? Looking at your pics ECR are the damn things using access on that wall into a roof space?

Richard Eastcliff said...

There's no evidence they're accessing the roof space as far as I can see from street level.

There's a big colony of them in the George VI park, I assume they've grown out of that and are spreading westwards.

Today Ramsgate, tomorrow, er, Sandwich?

Anonymous said...

There was a lot of them the other night in the trees along the sandwich road just past the viking ship

Linda said...

Many in Hartsdown park too. Are they illegal immigrants?

Richard Eastcliff said...

Well personally speaking I much prefer them to those indigenous KFC gulls.

Linda said...

I love the colours as they fly.aren't I an ageing saddo?

Richard Eastcliff said...

Not at all Linda. They're much prettier than some of our native offerings.