Monday, April 16, 2007

Pirates!

Strolling along the prom this morning, I spotted a medium sized vessel anchored just off the Millionaires' Playground. Upon whipping out the old binocs, I could just about make out that it was the MV Patricia.

Thinking this might be the long awaited Roman invasion, I scurried back to the CTM, fired up the Del Boy laptop, and headed straight for google, expecting to discover that the MV Patricia was one of my Russian millionaire friend's floating gin palaces.

Sadly I was eventually disappointed, as it turns out to be a Trinity House vessel. Although I did experience a brief frisson when I noticed the pirate station Swinging Radio England had broadcast from a similarly named ship in the 60s.

Now there's an idea! Anyone for Wonderful Radio Ramsgate?

6 comments:

Tony Flaig said...

radio London was the best

Richard Eastcliff said...

Well I was always a Radio Caroline fan (259 medium wave amongst others). The Loving Awareness thing they got into in the 70s was a bit hippy trippy, but as the first and only all album station I forgave them for that. Plus it had the advantage over any other radio station in that you could tell how rough the sea was by the number of times the needle skipped.

Anonymous said...

whats a needle?

Tony Flaig said...

I'm most likely older than you and I remember Radio London or Big L as being the most Poptastic

I actually remember listening to the last broadcast nearly 40 years ago August 14th 1967 3pm

Richard Eastcliff said...

Ah, the old Marine Offences Act! Not many DJs today could say they'd been arrested under that, although there are plenty of other things they might be arrested for (playing McFly, for instance).

Anonymous said...

Probably what your 15 year old mum uses Ashley.