Having perfected my clothes peg routine down at the excellent Ramsgate Rocks shindig yesterday, I'm just about ready to roll it out as performance art, perhaps with the added frisson of a crocodile clip on each earlobe. And as luck would have it, I've received a communication from the lovely ladies at the RAF (Ramsgate Arts Festival), who are looking for chaps of my calibre to join their steering committee for the inaugural festival, which is due to take place next year. They write:
A group of Ramsgate residents has formed itself into a charitable organisation with a view to organising an annual event/festival located in Ramsgate and surrounds. The steering committee have thus far:
• constituted the organisation
• secured seed funding
• worked with a creative consultant in order to work towards a creative vision
• explored some preliminary funding avenues
• planned a trailer event to happen in the town this summer
The plan for the event/festival so far is:
• A three-day event, initially – Friday, Saturday, Sunday
• Centrepiece – a big event on the Saturday, probably stretching into the evening – centred on the Harbour
• Multiple events over the three days linked to the vision
We feel it should be:
• Focussed on the elements that are central to the area – sea, wind, sand, sun, with connotations of speed, energy, change etc in nature and the environment. Elements that shape the town’s geography, history, culture, economy and which will contribute to shaping its future.
• Authentic in drawing on the people of the town, their traditions, history, culture and aspirations.
• A festival that creates ritual and ceremony out of that authenticity and that creates stories and allows stories to be told.
• A festival that allows the widest participation and engages with the widest interpretations of art and culture.
What do we need now?
We are very conscious that we need to build a Management Committee/Board that is diverse and that properly reflects the different individuals, communities, experience and expertise in Ramsgate. We would particularly welcome expressions of interest from the following:
• Young people
• Men of any age
• People with community/voluntary experience in the area
• People with business/financial/legal experience/expertise
• People with experience of local government
• People who have lived in Ramsgate all their life
• People from under-represented communities e.g. disabled people, people from ethnic minority groups, older people
• Artists – from any discipline within the field of arts
• Anybody with a passion for Ramsgate, with a desire to make a difference and with a can-do attitude!
You will need to be able to commit time and energy to the project. We are currently meeting once a week and there are a variety of tasks that need to be undertaken outside of meeting times.
If you would like to join the Board, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org