Thursday, February 08, 2007

Between The Rock And A Hard Place


Gazing wistfully at Alcatraz from my luxury hotel suite here in San Francisco, I can't help feeling homesick.

The Rock was the only place that enjoyed hot showers in the US prison system, installed so that inmates wouldn't become acclimatised to cold water. And what magnificent views! It reminds me somewhat of the old cliff top mansion. Time to return to Blighty, methinks.

The QM2 was in town on Sunday. The SFPD blocked off the centre of the Golden Gate Bridge, thus thwarting anyone who might have been planning a spectacular suicide by diving into the funnel. But she's gone now, so I'll just have to take up Sir Richard Branston's offer of a free Upper Class ticket.

I must say, I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes that will surely have taken place on Kent's Ramsgate Peninsula in my absence, viz:

● Dreamland transformed into Alton Towers style theme park
● Temporary Harris fencing removed from repaired East Cliff
● Anthea Turner Centre completed and bestowed RIBA award

Ah, there's no place like home!

1 comment:

Tony Flaig said...

Free Upper Class ticket! This sounds like one checkin where you don't want to annnounce "Do you know who I am" in case they do, or check and have you placed back in cattle class where you belong.