Thursday, October 17, 2013
15 Facts You Already Knew About Manston
1. RAF London Kent Manston Margate Tracey Emin Chas & Dave Maggie Thatcher Schipol Poundland International Airport began life in 1915 as an emergency landing strip for the Royal Flying Corps.
2. Contrary to popular belief, RAFLKMMTEC&DMTSPIA does not have 'the longest runway in the UK'. It is, in fact, the 14th longest runway in the country.
3. Also contrary to urban legend, and contrary to what it says on the airport's Wikipedia page, NASA never had any plans to use the airport as an emergency landing strip for the space shuttle.
4. When the previous owners, Kiwi firm Infratil, took over in 2006 after the airport went bust, they predicted it would be breaking even by 2009.
5. In 2007, the airport was said to require millions of pounds worth of investment to sort out its drainage and fuel tanks.
6. Also in 2007, a poll conducted by Eastcliff Richard revealed that 73% of readers found training flights from RAFLKMMTEC&DMTSPIA a nuisance.
7. In 2008, 1500kgs of rotting food was impounded off a cargo flight, including 'fish that was so badly decayed some of it had become liquid'.
8. Also in 2008, Manston based holiday firm Seguro went bust, leaving 2,500 holidaymakers stranded abroad.
9. In 2009, Thanet North MP Sir Roger Gale pushed for Manston to become 'London's Olympic Airport'.
10. Also in 2009, Infratil reported the airport was losing £4m a year, and were expected to sell it 'within 12 months'.
11. And again in 2009, British Airways World Cargo pulled out of negotiations to base themselves at Manston, preferring Stansted instead.
12. In 2010, regular Manston cargo visitors Meridian and Egyptair were severely reprimanded by the DfT and CAA for serious technical and safety failures.
13. Cargo flights have often been found to conceal contraband. In 2010, 3kg of cocaine was seized off a knackered old jumbo from Ghana.
14. Also in 2010, the airport changed its name, yet again, this time from 'Kent International Airport' to 'Manston - Kent's International Airport.'
15. During the last general election, Thanet North MP Sir Roger Gale came out firmly against night flights at Manston.
That's enough Manston facts - Ed.